11 July 2013

I know that "Nepal" is missing from the blog....

And so, I will add an entry on Nepal very soon. The trouble is, it was such an immense experience, that I don't know that I can do it justice. I will attempt it though, if for nothing else than my own memory. All I definitely know is that I will return to the beautiful kingdom of Nepal next year, in order to trek the Annapurna Circuit and fulfill a dream I have held for 12 long years. I would love to do the Everest Base Camp trek as well on the same trip, but after suffering the physicality of the Poon Hill trek with a dodgy left knee, (which reduced me literally to tears at times over the pain endured, thanks to a running injury exactly a week before we left for Nepal), I dare not attempt until I have at least a successful circuit trek under my belt. Not that it bothers me greatly, as it only means that I must return to Nepal a third time to realise my ultimate dream. No hardship at all!

I long to return to Kathmandu. Particularly Thamel, with it's narrow, slightly winding, delightfully claustrophobic alley ways, one leading onto the next, and then the next. A succession of tea stores, pashmina shops, Thangka sellers, distributors of Buddhas and vendors selling semi-precious stones worked into beautiful necklaces and bracelets. How I long to haggle gently with jewellers and side street con-women selling cheap bags. To debate the worth and value of a handmade wind pipe with an incessantly sincere seller. To sit in a smokey, dimly lit restaurant, waiting for the ordered momo's and Tibetan beer to be delivered to the table, with the threat of an electrical outage ever present. The reassurance of a head torch, so alien in usual circumstances, giving comfort through it's very presence in one's jacket pocket. To cast shy, unwilling eyes at a table companion, while reading the mesmerising tale of a mountain ascent gone awry.

This is Thamel-cheap internet and crackling international phone calls. Inexpensive books. Good food with the threat of electrical power shortages. Cheap soap. Haggling for Buddhas and jade and silver bowls. Beggars. Narrow alley ways and peaceful hotels. The crow of roosters along adjacent roof tops. A feeling of peace amidst the madness. A feeling of having been granted an insight into something remarkable.

I Love You Thamel.

I can't wait to experience you again. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment